Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
We offer specialized assessment and therapy services for toddlers, preschool/school-aged children, and adolescents suspected of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Our ASD team consists of Clinical Psychologists who have extensive and specialized research and clinical training for working with children and youth with ASD.
Some indicators of ASD in early childhood include:
- Delayed speech and language development
- Challenges with social skills or peer relationships
- Lack of non-verbal communication (e.g., use of gestures or facial expressions)
- Inconsistent or reduced eye contact
- Inconsistent response to name
- Repetitive use of language (e.g., repeating others’ words/sentences)
- Intense or unusual interests in specific topics, toys, or objects
- Repetitive or odd body movements (e.g., hand flapping, spinning, rocking)
- Difficulties coping with transitions and/or changes in routine
- Over- or under-sensitivity to sensory input (e.g., textures, noises, smells)
Children and adolescents with ASD can benefit from individual therapy, including Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT). Clinicians will work closely with the child, youth, and their parents to address concerns regarding anxiety, low mood, and difficulties with emotional or self-regulation, self-esteem, and social skills.
An ASD assessment involves an in-depth developmental interview with parents as well as direct testing of the child using the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS-2), which is considered the gold standard for diagnosing ASD. Depending on the child’s needs, the assessment may also include standardized testing of cognitive and academic ability, as well as an evaluation of the child’s social and emotional development. Following the assessment, parents will receive a detailed report summarizing the results, diagnostic considerations, and recommendations for treatment and resources. The results from the report will be shared with parents during a feedback meeting at the end of the assessment.
We offer consultation and coaching for parents of children with ASD. This service can help parents manage their child’s challenging behaviours and support their child with social, communication development.